Friday 13 May 2011

Films I have seen recently.

Films. One of my absolute favourite ways of wasting a couple of hours:-) Went to see Thor with Daughter and Daughter's Boyfriend a couple of weeks ago. Great fun! It was completely over the top for the first half hour spent in Asgard (as it should have been, it is the home of GODS after all) and very entertaining from then on in. Thor was wonderfully played by Chris Hemsworth, he does the 'fish out of water' thing so well when he gets expelled to Earth. Some truly funny moments, especially the pet shop scene! It was good that they had a great supporting cast (Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard, Anthony Hopkins) as it needed that bit of style to keep it from becoming a complete fanboy fantasy, though I did think that Rene Russo as Thors Mum was woefully under used. Fanboys were kept very happy though. There was the usual stay till the end to see the teaser bit and a small glimpse of Hawkeye in the middle, AND the usual cameo from Stan Lee and also one from J. Micheal Straczynski. Daughters Boyfriend was very pleased :-)
Then my copy of The Kings Speech dropped onto the mat. An amazing film, well deserving of all the accolades, so much more poignant because of it being a true story. Colin Firth was, as usual, fantastic as was Helena Bonham Carter but I feel that the best performance belonged to Geoffrey Rush. His complete immersion into the part was wonderful to behold and an amazing piece of acting. I would recommend this film to everyone. Everything was perfect, the writing, scenery, costumes, all of it was perfect.
This Wednesday night I am going to see Insidious with Daughter. The trailer looks creepy, no shaky camera work to make me feel ill, and enough shocks to keep me awake all night. Can't wait ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Daughter's Boyfriend was VERY pleased. Fancy seeing Captain America on the 29th July? It's got Hugo Weaving and Tommy Lee Jones in it! Im not sure what to make of Chris Evans (not the ginger twot) who played Johnny Storm/Human Torch in the crappy Fantastic Four films as Captain America though... like I don't get how they can have Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool in the XMen films but also as The Green Lantern. ANYWAY it looks good.

    I havent seen The Kings Speech but mum and dad loved it and so has pretty much everyone else who's seen it! So I think I should.

    Enjoying your blog, future mother in law =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, would love to see Captain America, any excuse to see Tommy Lee Jones and Hugo Weaving! Glad it's not OUR Chris Evans in it as undomesticated equines would not be able to drag me to see it! You can borrow The Kings Speech when you visit next week :-)

    ReplyDelete